Our Numbers Tell Our Story Best

Food Pantry

Over 1,200,000 pounds of food were distributed! The average number of visits per month was 1,430. 5,440 Dunn County residents were served by the pantry. 80% of people are living at or below poverty level and the remaining 20% are very close. 14,590 Project SAM (Share A Meal) bags were packed & distributed at local schools containing food for the weekend for children at risk of hunger.

Stepping Stones Shelters

In 2014, 360 people received shelter either at the Stepping Stones Shelter on South Broadway, at Winter Haven, or at a local motel for a total of 4,268 nights combined. 603 people were assisted with finding or maintaining affordable housing.

Community Connections Program

In 2014, 173 people were assisted with supportive services by volunteers such as transportation, food deliveries, small home repairs, yard work, etc. 709 individuals and families received almost $33,000 (total) in emergency financial assistance to help with expenses such as heat, electrical bills, fuel, and clothing. 2, 268 people received referrals to other programs and agencies where additional needs they had could be addressed


Stepping Stones offers a ‘hand up’ not a ‘hand out.’


Board of Directors

President: President: Sara Carstens, Director-Community Engagement & Wellness, Mayo Clinic Health Systems
Vice-President: Jerry Porter, Retired Engineering Manager, 3M
Treasurer: Mark Kalscheur, U.S. Bank Home Mortgage
Secretary: Heather Wigdahl, Lutheran Pastor, ELCA-Our Savior’s
Loren Barker,
Lutheran Pastor, retired
Tanya Bruder, Attorney, Nodolf Flory, LLP
Kamsey Keyes Cleveland, Co-Owner & Office Manager, Keyes Chevrolet
Bev Deyo-Svendsen, Retired Academic Dept. Associate, UW-Stout
Heidi Kotnour,
Manufacturing Manager, 3M
Michelle Kloser, Director of Nutrition Services, Menomonie Area School District
Nina Koch,
 Retired Educator
Katie Kramschuster, Librarian, UW-Stout
Nichole Manson, Recovering Addict & Advocate for Sustainable Food Usage
Wendy Slaback
Pastor, Menomonie United Methodist Church


The small but dedicated staff at Stepping Stones work to achieve the mission of “people helping people strengthen the Dunn County Community by providing food, shelter and support.”

Padraig Gallagher

Padraig Gallagher
Executive Director

Kris Pawlowski

Kris Pawlowski
Assistant Director & Food Pantry Coordinator

Heidi Hooten

Heidi Hooten
Shelter Coordinator

Jill Seichter

Jill Seichter
Community Connections Program Coordinator

Mai Nou Hang

Mai Nou Hang
Program Assistant

Barbara Lyon

Barbara Lyon
Part-time Communications Specialist

Henry Amberson

Henry Amberson
Maintenance & Warehouse Coordinator

Patty Wright

Patty Wright
Part-time Warehouse Manager

Mike Racette

Mike Racette
Part-time Warehouse Manager

Hannah Dvorak

Hannah Dvorak
Outreach Coordinator



Rochelle Weber

Rochelle Weber
Part-time Shelter Program Assistant

Mission, Vision, Values

Mission Statement

People helping people strengthen the Dunn County community by providing food, shelter and support.

Vision Statement

Stepping Stones seeks to foster a community that prevents hunger, homelessness, and isolation throughout Dunn County.


Justice and Sustainability

  • All people have the right to nutritious food, adequate housing, and other needed support services.
  • Sufficient resources exist in our community to provide supportive services and prevent hunger and homelessness.
  • Stepping Stones advocates for the just and equitable sharing of resources.
  • Stepping Stones is committed to the sustainable use of resources, including economic, environmental, and personal resources to assure their availability and abundance in the present and the future.


  • Individuals reach their full potential, and achieve balance and wellness through connections to community.
  • Stepping Stones’ services provide bridges to community, to stability, and to self-sufficiency.
  • Community is fostered by nurturing inclusivity and diversity.

Compassionate Work and Service

  • The effectiveness, talent, and commitment of volunteers and staff are critical to the success of Stepping Stones’ mission.
  • Staff must be equipped to accomplish their responsibilities, and provided with just compensation.
  • Clients, volunteers, and staff cooperate to create a caring, respectful, trusting atmosphere and to engage in work that is mutually rewarding.
  • Work and service spaces that are pleasant, well maintained, and suited to the needs of the service will best facilitate Stepping Stones’ mission.